Horšovský Týn was originally a pontifical castle established before the middle of the 13th century. In 1547 it burned out and was rebuilt into a monumental renaissance residence (Jan the Younger of Lobkowicz). During 1623 – 1945 it was owned by the Trauttmansdorffs. Since 1945 the castle is owned and administrated by the state.
The national monument State Castle Horšovský Týn is one of the most open objects in the Czech Republic.
The All Saints’ Church in a near village Horšov and the St. Anna Church near Horšovský Týn also belong to the administration of the Castle.